Growing up I ate a dish that was egg scrambled with tomatoes and green onions. The original Chinese recipe, with eggs and tomato was one of the first dishes I ever learned to make on my own.
This was a quick go-to side dish my Mom would make to go with rice and other dishes, which included steamed fish and stir fried bok choy. Perfect for a busy weeknight.
This Chinese tomato and egg recipe is a vegan version, one that uses tofu and adds spinach for more vegetables and nutrition. Some of you asked me for more vegan recipes, so here we are!
I also added turmeric, paprika and curry powder for flavour and colour.
The best kind of tofu for this recipe is a medium-firm tofu. However, the firmer varieties work well too – it just won’t resemble scrambled eggs as much. I used an extra firm version here because it’s what I had in my fridge.
Tofu and Tomato
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 block (400g / 14 oz) medium to firm tofu
- 1 cup diced tomato about one medium tomato
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 2 Tbsp sliced green onions green parts only
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Remove block of tofu from package. Drain, rinse and pat dry.
- In a frying pan on medium high heat, add oil and garlic. Stir until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Add tofu and heat for 3-4 minutes, until bottoms begin to brown.
- Add tomatoes and stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add spinach and stir fry for 1 min.
- Add rice vinegar and stir.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add turmeric, paprika and curry powder and stir until spices are evenly distributed.
- Add salt and pepper and mix together.
- Remove from heat. Top with green onions and sesame seeds.
For more great nutrition & Asian food content, follow me on social media: