MEDIA EXPERT IN NUTRITION
Meet Nutrition Communications Expert, Michelle Jaelin
Michelle Jaelin is an award winning Canadian registered dietitian and nutrition communications expert who is a trusted voice from local to international media. Michelle delivers dynamic educational talks focused on practicing inclusive nutrition, decolonizing health and wellness, and busting myths about cultural foods.
With two degrees in both visual arts and nutrition sciences, Michelle uses her creativity to regularly create science-based nutrition and healthy Asian food and recipe content on her blog and social media @michellejaelin. She has been featured in over 100 interviews on local and national television, print and online publications and digital media channels worldwide.
Speaking for Conferences, Workshops and More
As a nutrition communications professional, Michelle has a strong understanding of intersectionality and cultural competence to help you unlearn and relearn how to embrace diverse cuisines, balancing them with a healthy lifestyle.
Her goal is always for audience members to leave with either actionable tips for better health, or with greater awareness in how to cultivate greater inclusivity in the health world.
Healthy Eating Includes Your Cultural Foods!
Is the Mediterranean Diet really the best diet? For decades, nutrition scientists have cited the Mediterranean Diet as “the healthiest.” However, nutrition is not a one-size-fits-all, as people eat differently all around the world. Michelle discusses nutrition from a global perspective. Learn how you can eat more nutritiously, have better energy, and maintain your health while incorporating your cultural foods.
How to Practice Culturally Competent and Inclusive Nutrition (For professionals)
Many diet-related chronic diseases such as heart disease, hypertension and type diabetes 2 disproportionately impact racial/ethnic minority populations. Michelle discusses how to approach nutrition care when working with BIPOC populations through cultural competence, inclusive nutrition practices and knowledge of food diversity. Leave with greater confidence in working with diverse individuals in your practice.
Press and Features
- Today’s Dietitian | 13th Annual Showcase of 10 RDs Who Are Making a Difference
- Eating Well Magazine | Michelle Jaelin
- The Hamilton Spectator | Delicious and nutritious Asian cuisine
- TorontoMet Today | Entrepreneur Michelle Jaelin teaches healthy eating with an Asian twist
- Diversify Dietetics | RDN Spotlight: Michelle Jaelin, RD
- Toronto Metropolitan University Alumni and Friends | Enjoy this delicious recipe to celebrate Asian Heritage Month
- York University Alumni and Friends | Alumni Spotlight: Michelle Jaelin (BFA ’08)
- NBC News | Eating kimchi everyday can help stave off weight gain, new study says
- Toronto Star | ‘There’s a sense of hope and anticipation’
- SELF | I’m an RD, and There’s a Problem With the Mediterranean Diet We Need to Talk About
- Whole30 | Is MSG Okay on Whole30? A Change to the Whole30 Rules
- LIVESTRONG | Names for Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) to Know
- SELF | 7 Registered Dietitians Share Recipes Using Their Favorite Vegetables From Their Cultures
- LIVESTRONG | All the Benefits of Chinese Lantern Berries (and How to Eat Them)
- LIVESTRONG | How Bad Is It Really to Eat Raw Fish and Meat?
- YouAreUNLTD | 6 Ways To Tap Into The Powerful Benefits of Nutritional Synergy – Vitamins And Minerals Working Together
- Everyday Health | What’s a Healthy BMI in Adults?
- Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo 2021 | Asian Cuisine: A Conversation on Regional Cooking Techniques & Recipes
- Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo 2020 | Asian Cuisine: Beyond the Soy Sauce
- Toronto Metropolitan University School of Nutrition, Graduating Class of 2020 | Motivational Alumni Speaker
- TEDxTorontoMetU (formerly TEDxRyersonU) 2013 | Enhancing health communication through the arts
TV, RADIO, AND PODCAST INTERVIEWS
- Everything About Milk Alternatives – The Social CTV
- How to integrate your daily nutritional requirements into meal planning on Breakfast Television
- New food labels are coming: What does this mean for you? on CP24
- Weight Loss Program 🚩 Red Flags – CHCH Morning Live
- MSG is Not Bad for You. Right? | Eat China: Back to Basics S4E2
- Why Rice Is King | Eat China: Back to Basics S4E1
- The one thing you can do for your health this year on AM 640 Toronto Today
- Connecting your food to farming. What The Farm Podcast, Episode 142